The easiest way to get copies of your tax returns is by requesting a Record of Account Transcript directly from the IRS. You should also request a Wage and Income Transcript which shows information from all W-2s, 1099s, and other tax forms under your name. If you provide both of these transcripts, you do not need to provide any other tax information.
OPTION 1: Get Transcript Online
You can request a copy of both the Record of Account Transcript and Wage and Income Transcript on the IRS website. You will need to create an ID.me account and verify your identity by uploading a photo of your driver’s license. The whole process takes about 15 minutes. When you’re done, you’ll be able to immediately download your transcripts from the past few years. You should download everything available on the site and keep it for your own records. Please send us the Record of Account Transcript and Wage and Income Transcript for at least the last three years.
If you have not filed a tax return within the last three years, you should be able to download a Verification of Non-filing Letter, which is confirmation by the IRS that you did not file that year.
OPTION 2: Get Transcript by Mail
If you have difficulty with the website or prefer to request the transcripts by mail, fill out the attached form and mail it to the address below.
- Lines 1 and 2. Your name and social security number, and your spouse’s name and social security number as shown on your last tax return.
- Line 3. Current name and address where you want the transcripts mailed.
- Line 4. Previous address that appears on your last tax return, if different from Box 3.
- Line 5. Not applicable, leave blank.
- Line 6. Write “1040” unless directed otherwise.
- Line 6c. Check the box for Record of Account.
- Line 7. Check the box if you have not filed a tax return in any of the last three years.
- Line 8. Check the box for Form W-2, Form 1099 series…
- Line 9. Request transcripts from at least the last three completed calendar years. For each tax year, write the date as 12/31/YYYY. For example, to request transcripts from 2021, you would write 12/31/2021. Don’t request information from the current year because nothing has been filed yet.
- Signature and date. Sign and date the form, and select the checkbox.
Mail the completed and signed form to:
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 9941
Mail Stop 6734
Ogden, UT 84409